The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Currently Reading as of January 1st, 2013

Happy New Year Everyone!

Here's my currently reading list as of the first day of 2013:




Click below to read my thoughts about my current reads!



  • Offbeat Volume 2 by Jen Lee Quick - Manga
This was a re-read. Just finished it so that's why it remains in my nightstand pile.
  • The Sonnets: Poems of Love by William Shakespeare - Poetry Collection
Love this! It's been sitting on my nightstand table for a while. I don't actively read it per say. However, whenever I'm in the mood for Shakespearean sonnets, I can easily reach over, read a poem or two before bed, then have sweet dreams of fair maidens more lovely and more temperate than a summer's day. =)
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Fiction Novel
Arg! The Hunger Games. After all of the hype from friends who LOVE this series, I decided to give it a try. However 50 pages in and 6 months later, it remains in my nightstand pile. I feel no compulsion to read it. The reading level felt like a 3rd grade level. That's not to say that children's books aren't amazing, but I just couldn't quite get hooked into it. However, I do plan on starting it over and giving it another try. We'll see.
  • Grimms Collection of Fairy Tales - Barnes and Nobles
This is so amazing. Another one that I don't actively read. I treat this like the Sonnet collection. Whenever I'm in the mood for a Grimm fairytale, I grab this collection and read. What I love best about this Barnes and Nobles collection are the illustrations. It's a beautifully crafted, bound book with stunning illustrations and gold trimmed pages. I simply love holding it in my hands as I read. Maybe, I'll put up pictures of the inside pages and illustrations for everyone to see. 
  • Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? by Raymond Carver - Short Story Anthology
Receive this from one of Creative Writing professor. She just randomly brought a couple of short story anthologies to class and told us to decide amongst ourselves who wants what. I hear the words books and free in the same sentence and I lose a bit (okay, a lot) of my usual self control! lol Anyway, I managed to grab this. I really liked the title. It was 9am and nearing finals' week, so the title suited my mood. I was wishing the entire world could just please be quiet, please. I've read the first 4 or 5 stories and I really enjoy them. They're not really exciting or awe-inspiring tales. That's part of what makes them enjoyable, though. Carver manages to take ordinary stories about ordinary people living their ordinary lives and gives them a hint of the extraordinary.  


What are you guys currently reading? I'm always looking to add more to my "To-Read" list! =) Leave your list in the comments below.


Bookishly yours,
Fatuma
Book Rants

1 comment:

  1. At the moment, I'm reading Baby Proof by Emily Giffin. Bought it at a hospital gift shop a while ago for cheap. Was in a reading slump so picked it up. The writing style is simple so it's good to get me back to reading.

    I also just finished Transcendence by Michelle Madow. Read that January 2nd.

    Will be updating my blog soon. Responded to your comment, but did it as reply to blog post instead of your comment lol.

    ReplyDelete