The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

[Favorite Book Quotes] Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Some lines that stood out for me as I was reading King's Bag of Bones:
(Read my full review of Bag of Bones here.)

1. "Readers love continuing characters; it's like coming back to family" (37).
That's perfectly true, unless it's that one Auntie that you absolutely cannot stand.

2. "...they're pouring out of me like shit out of a cow's ass" (40).
Eloquent, Noonan. Maybe try your hand at poetry instead of fiction?
3. "VC Andrews with a prick" (45).
Are we talking original VC, or ghost writer VC?

4. "According to gloomy old Dennison Carville, the aspiring novelist should understand from the outset that fiction's goals were forever beyond his reach, that the job was an exercise in futility. 'Compared to the dullest human being actually walking about on the face of the earth and casting his shadow here,' Hardy supposedly said, 'the most brilliantly drawn character in a novel is but a bag of bones.' (45).

Really King, then what are both you and Noonan playing at? Being writers. *scoff* You're doomed to failure according to good 'ole Carville here. Best find a new day job.

5. "I am a man who has trained his mind to misbehave and I can imagine too many things..." (54).
I know how you feel, buddy. My mind doesn't behave either. Won't shut up or settle down. Time-outs don't seem to have any effect either. It simply does as it pleases.
6. "This is how we go on: one day at a time, one meal at a time, one pain at a time, one breath at a time" (361).
All I really need is the one meal bit.
7. "I felt lonely and content at the same time. I believe that is a rare kind of happiness" (366).
Okay, Noonan. Whatever floats your boat.



What do you think? Have favorite lines of your own? Share them in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love this! Maybe you can make this a sort of feature on your blog? Favorite Book Quotes? That would be awesome! And then I would ask to "steal" it. Well, not really, I'd give credit to you in every "Favorite Book Quotes" post!

    I've been thinking about starting some features on my blog. Like, book of the week (or month - not sure which yet) - to feature/highlight a book, Character of the Month - to feature/highlight a character. And I think this would make a great feature! With your permission, I'd like to do this on my blog too! Maybe make it a weekly or monthly thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I hadn't meant this to be a regular thing, but it could definitely work. I think I mentioned before that I'm a horrible blogger in that I do whatever I want and have no set schedule for my posts. lol

      You're welcome to do this too. I think it's fun sharing the particular lines in a work that make stop and re-read or gasp or sigh or laugh out loud.

      Book of the week or month would be just another review right? I feel like it would get repetitive and I'd end up choosing a book I'd already reviewed as I review as I read. (Wait. Does that make sense?)

      Character of the Month I think I like, but I'm what I call a Character-Reader (made up the term myself), so I automatically gush about my fave character(s) in each work I read. Would it be repetitive? Hmm...

      Another thought is (and this just came to me) is random fact of the (insert time period) in regards to what you're currently reading. So as I read Bags of Bones (actually maybe this could be daily), as I update folks on where I am on book, I can Google and find some nugget of related info: When King was born? Which historical references are true? historical events during the book's fictional time?

      Oh man, now I'm getting excited. Scheduled Blog Features, here I come! (Sorry for Essay aka Long Response.)

      Delete
    2. Haha! No problem don't worry about the Essay a. k. a. Long Response! English major here! I can take it! Actually I was thinking for the book of the month I would just put the cover, a summary, a couple of general sentences and a link to my full review. I review as I read as well. (And yes, what you said made sense. haha) I'm also a Character-Reader! I could go ON about characters!!

      The "Random Fact" thing sounds really cool too! Now I'm getting excited! I'm going to start these Scheduled Blog Features too! :D

      P.S. Is this blogging more regularly posting blog posts (did that make senes?) taking the place of Vox for us?...lol...hmmmm...

      Delete
    3. Oh and by summary I mean summary of the book, not my view.

      Delete