The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

[Book Rant] Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder is a sweet and powerful read starring 5th grader August (Auggie) Pullman, who was born with facial abnormalities, as he navigates both school and the 5th grade for the first time.



It was a great Wednesday afternoon read that I enjoyed. It was touching and jolting and had a lot of important life lessons to teach/learn, such as not judging a book by its cover, true friendship, and the power of kindness. A triple threat.



The multiple POV's were an interesting way to tell the story, but not well executed. Via's POV I believe was the most touching and poignant and real. Jack and Summer's POV's were also effective and I enjoyed seeing their side. However, can someone please tell me why we needed to hear from the boyfriend, Justin, and the ex-BFF, Miranda? Neither character was connected to Auggie directly. Also, I don't understand why grammar and proper capitalization were suddenly thrown out of the window for Justin's chapters. And, Miranda's spiel about her time at summer camp? Completely uninteresting, irrelevant, and unnecessary--it didn't move the story at all.


I would have loved to hear from Mom or Dad or childhood friend, Chris, or heck, even one of his doctors instead. One of those would have been potentially more powerful and better than Miranda and Justin. Or even Julian's POV could have been intriguing and intense.

Minor Issue: The simplicity of the writing style felt at odds with the complexity of the characters' dialogue. Not sure if this makes perfect sense, but I felt like I was reading a book written by a middle schooler with High school characters. It's hard to explain, but it caused a bit of dissonance for me and lessened the believability of the story and characters. There were also places where the dialogue was incredibly childish for characters who had just been speaking pretty sophisticated.

Slightly less minor issue: Why were 5th graders dating?! Even with transitioning adolescence, puberty, hormones etc, I still cannot see 10-year-olds dating. They're still babies as far as I'm concerned and ten is too young even for the earliest of bloomers. I think as an older reader (my younger sister, who happens to be 10, that brat better NOT be doing anything, LOVES this book) I really couldn't get pass this idea of hormonal 10-year-olds. What happened to the good 'ole days where boys were stupid, ew gross, and had cooties until they were miraculously cured in 8th or 9th grade? Is there a Cootie Vaccination now?


FINAL VERDICT:

The story was really enjoyable. Some characters--Auggie, Summer, Jack, Via, and Dad in particular--really touched my heart (though some more depth and character development would have been appreciated. Then again, this is written for a much younger audience.), while other characters were literacy waste (cough, cough). Also, the writing wasn't as compelling as it could have been,  lessening the "punch in the heart" effect of this novel. But I'm being picky because the effect was there nonetheless as I won't be forgetting Auggie for a few days.


* * *







Princess Reads A Lot LIKES this book a lot!
It made her smile and she's sure glad she read it,
though there were a few things that bugged her highness.




No comments:

Post a Comment