The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

[Random Book Fact, Kinda] Sherman Alexie is . . .

A possibly new regular feature: random facts related to the book I'm currently reading. These facts will be really random and their relation to the book will be subtle at best. They'll be the things that I'm strangely curious about. This is the first one, so you're see what I mean. I think I'll call this feature "Random Book Fact, Kinda." I may or may not change the name as I come up with better ones. Anyway, without further adieu:

I'm currently reading The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman (Joseph) Alexie.

He looks like a fun guy. Someone I would like to know.

Sherman means "shear man". Occupational name for a person who trimmed wool cloth. Joseph is Hebrew for "Jehovah increases." Also the name for the son of Jacob, who's sold by his bros, but becomes a prince. And Alexie is a variant of Alexander (Greek) and Alexis (Greek) and means "man's defender, warrior." (Source: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/)

"Sherman Alexie Earns his Name": from The Super Secret Real Biography of Sherman Alexie (only one copy ever in print)

Our acclaimed Native American author began as a young boy shearing the wool off of wholly mammoths for his weekly allowance. One of the wholly mammoths was sold off to cavemen as his 12 brothers (and sisters, let's not be sexist) stood miles away watching. (We're not sure who initiated the transaction, but it's safe to say that young Sherman is definitely the hero in this tale.) Sherman was no ordinary boy, however, and he set out with a spear and some yummy tangerines to save the baby wholly mammoth (whose name was Fred by the way). After an arduous 4 day battle, Sherman returned victorious atop Fred's back like the warrior that he was. From hence forth he was known as Sherman Alexie.

Hi, I'm Fred. Thank you Sherman for rescuing me. You're my hero.

I bet you won't find that gold nugget in any biography. You're welcome.

P.S. The above excerpt of  The Super Secret Real Biography of Sherman Alexie is entirely fabricated in case you didn't know. As Stephen King said in his novel, Bag of Bones, a writer is someone who has taught his (or her, why so sexist, King?) mind to misbehave. =)

On a more serious note though, Sherman Alexie is pretty amazing. He is such an inspiring strong and determined individual to have overcome the harsh (and perhaps unfair, but tis life) hand he was dealt to become a success. Read the following biography when you get the chance.


Until next time,
Fatuma
Book Rants

4 comments:

  1. Another feature I LOVE! It would be awesome to do something like this on my blog (hint, hint. Your permission?) Awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. You don't need my permission. I don't own THE INTERNET (how cool would it be if I did though). Just steal whatever you want, just a quick note/link to my blog in your post(s) would be appreciated is all. =)

      Delete
    2. Oki doke. Always nice to ask though. Yes, it would be cool if you owned the internet haha. And of course I'll leave a note in my blog posts! :) However, I'm having some trouble getting the link thing (good vocabulary huh?)to work. But I'll definitely put a note, the name of your blog, and the exact blog address so it's easy for people to get to.

      Will all of these be made up? (Just curious.) Mine will be similar. Random facts I find. Maybe all true, maybe some not. ;)

      Delete