The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Recent Book Buys!

Today, I had an interview for substitute teaching work at a temp agency. More importantly, I took advantage of being in Grand Central to hot-foot it to my favorite bookstore in Midtown while jamming to Olly Murs' "Troublemaker" on repeat.

Book Off is located at 49 W. 45th Street between 5th and 6th. It's unique in that it specializes in imported Japanese books. But that's not what I go there for; I go for the cheap manga collection and the $1 books section. Actually all of the books are fairly cheap as most are $5 and less. They also have an impressive used DVD, CD, and Video Game section as well, but I couldn't care less about those. The $1 books are what I swoon over as I often find some real gems. Today's gems are as follows:


1) Thomas Harris' Hannibal Rising: I've already read Silence of the Lambs, and I have Hannibal in my To-Be-Read pile. Now all I'm missing is Red Dragon. Once I have that my Hannibal Lecter Weekend Marathon (both books and movies) can commence. I'm so looking forward to it!
"Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?" - from Silence of the Lambs

2) Robert Cormier's After the First Death: I love The Chocolate War and always wanted to read more by this writer. Also, the blurb is short, sweet, and intriguing: "Who will be the next one to die? They've taken the children. And the son of a general. But that isn't enough. More horrors must come. . . ."  And on the cover is a school bus going over a bridge with a red sniper target on it. Do you blame me for being unable to put this baby down?


What about you, dear readers? Picked up any gems yourself recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment