The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

[Currently Reading - Book Quotes] The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie






Started reading this yesterday on train ride from work. Currently up to page 29. Below are some quotes that made me react in some way:


"Indian tears" (5).

What are Indians tears? Tears steeped in history and never-to-be-forgotten pains and slights? How different are they from other tears? African tears? Asian tears? American tears?


"Just one word. Just the color of his skin. Red, white, black, or brown" (25).


As if that's all we need to know about a person and everything else could be guessed. =(


"I was conceived during one of those drunken nights, half of me formed by my father's whiskey sperm, the other half formed by my mother's vodka egg. I was born a goofy reservation mixed drink, and my father needed me just as much as he needed every other kind of drink" (27).


Aw?


"And besides, why the hell would you want to fight a war for this country? It's been trying to kill Indians since the very beginning" (29).


True. Wish there was a way to teach American students the truth. Even if not learned in the classroom, you learn about others by interacting with them. However, most of us don't interact with Native Americans day to day. In my 21 years, I've never met someone who identified as Native American. Reading is as close as I can get. And that saddens me.


(WOW. As soon as I posted this. I saw following link on my Facebook feed: Chelsey Ramer, 17, Fined $1000 After Wearing Eagle Feather At High School Graduation. Check out Not About the Feathers too. Ms. Valerie RedHorse says exactly what I was trying to express above!)

No comments:

Post a Comment