The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

[Book Rant] A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time. Where have you been all of my life?

Reading A Wrinkle in Time was more than experiencing a literary adventure, it was reliving a magical childhood.

Within 190 (oh-so-short) pages, L'Engle manages to create a wonderful blend of excitement, humor, and genuine emotion.

As we join Meg, her brother Charles Wallace, and her sweetheart Calvin on a mission to rescue Meg and Charles Wallace's father (as well as stop the earth from succumbing to The Black Thing), we learn, as Meg does, that there is only one thing that can save any of us--LUURRRVVVEEE.

Also, can we discuss this bad-a** cover? They don't make book covers like this anymore. I love how unique and fascinating older fantasy and science fiction often book covers are. They are actual works of art. Look at those stunning pastel colors in those delicate wings. The contrast of shadow and subtle light. The floating, green mug with the glowing, red eyes in a crystal ball. I love it!

And Meg. Okay, I admit a love-hate thing with children's books. I love the stories, but I often hate the characters. I sometimes find it difficult to connect with young protagonists, unless the writer is quite adapt at their craft, which L'Engle-darling most definitely is. I found all three of the main young characters utterly endearing.

Stop and call the presses! THERE. IS. A. SEQUEL. A Wind in the Door. Oh yea, you know I'm searching for that baby as soon as possible.

Laters Gators,
Fatuma

No comments:

Post a Comment