The Rantings and Ravings of a Crazy Book Lady.

Monday, July 8, 2013

[Book Rant] Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



Okay, I absolutely loved this book. The last book that I read and loved was Kate Stockett's The Help.

What first drew me in was the fact that it was written by an African writer. As a child of immigrants from The Gambia in West Africa, I'm been meaning to read some African literature. I've always felt like a slight traitor as I've yet to read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. But I've made up for it with Purple Hibiscus. Or so I'd like to think. (Will still read Achebe's book one day. Maybe.)

A simple song for a tiny country, but it shows Moxie!

So what's it about?

Purple Hibiscus takes place in Nigeria (the birthplace of both of our writer). The story is told through 15-year-old Kambili, who lives with her mother, father, and brother Jaja. Kambili's father is an extremely religious man who rules his family with an iron fist. The tale unfolds as Kambili and her brother spend some time away from home and experience the first taste of freedom as civil war in Nigeria makes things even more unstable.

Dangit! Nigeria has the better anthem. Just because they're bigger. Humph!
 

Rant Begins:

I want to begin by commenting on Kambili's narrative voice. I think it was the best voice/POV that I have had the pleasure to read in a long time. It was authentic, compelling, endearing, and compassionate. I was immediately and deeply connected with Kambili and felt haunted by the life I was suddenly intimately privy to. Even more touching was Kambili's emotions, strength, and fears as she struggled between her love for her abusive father, love for her battered mother, and fear of change after tasting freedom. Also, because Kambili avoids things or pretends not to know, readers are increasingly horrified as we come to the realizations of the truths that Kambili refuses to admit.

Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Let's imagine that this is what Kambili will look like in 20 years.

I love the whole start-from-the-end-then-tell-the-events-that-leads-up-to-it plot device. Love it, I say, especially when it's as well done as it was in Purple Hibiscus. From the first line, Ms. Adichie caught me hook, line, and sinker and I was only eager to read more. Adichie's strong writing continued to lead me by the heart from beginning to end as I gasped in horror, smiled bittersweetly, held my breath with hope, and rooted wholeheartedly for Kambili, Jaja, Aunty Ifeoma, the cousins, and others. Each character was unique and meaningful within the story (even Papa-the-Bastard, the name I coined him in my head).

Purple Hibiscus is an absolute must-read if you want a taste of African literature that is strongly written, engaging, and moves your heart.

Official Rating:





Princess Reads A Lot absolutely LOVED this book! She was captivated, enamored, enchanted, and fascinated, otherwise irrevocably in love. She has found yet another literary prince charming and is in bliss.

1 comment:

  1. I've read African American plays in a class I took but nothing specifically African. Although the "genre" intrigues me and it would be another good way to broaden my literary horizons.

    ReplyDelete